As a reminder, this is what our bathroom looked like when we bought the house. It had not changed until now!
|Picture 1: Tub in my kitchen, used as storage. This has been here for.. 2 years?|
Here is a quick overview of our bathroom remodel. If you are looking for the "Penny Floor Instructional", please click here.
|Mr. Ireland taking out the vinyl tub surround. |
This is his favorite part of the project:
tearing it down!
|Burning question: What is behind the wall?|
|Taking it down to the studs. Well, half of it anyway.|
You see my ceiling? Yeah, I've been living with that
FOR A YEAR! We took it down to move the upstairs
bathroom drain. Nothing like spiders in your shower.
|Gutted! Mold free insulation! |
Now we take out the sink and toilet and
get ready to peel off vinyl flooring.
|What do you do when you find that your bathroom mirror is |
NOT held on by clips, but GLUED to the wall? Cut it out, of course!
I'm a sheetrock master. Really. Wait for it.....
|Mr. Ireland, starting the vapor barrier for the insulation.|
|New green board and subfloor where the tub was.|
|Now I get to do my thing - tape, mud and texture. |
I actually enjoy this.
|There it is! Patched the wall. 'Round here, |
I'm the drywall/carpenter/painter lady
|Ready to texture. I chose to texture over the original walls too.|
|Well obviously I got around to texturing. |
This seemed like it took forever, but the
picture time stamp says it was still June...
The 30th, but that's still June!!
|Paint swatches and Mr. Ireland installing a fan.|
|Ah, here we are! The gold shimmer! |
Two coats, Ralph Lauren something or other-
Candlelight? Its good. Love it.
And they no longer make it.
|It's not for everyone and every house, but I LOVE the look of|
hand textured walls.
|Now to address the floor...|
|Peeling off the vinyl wasn't that bad because there |
were 3 layers!
|The bottom layer was so brittle that it was|
breaking off in big pieces. We cleaned it up
with water and a mutt.
|That's as good as it gets. Now ready for |
self leveling compound
Looking back through these pictures has really shown me that we did some good work. This first set of pictures represent 6 days of work. We really did well through the whole project, if you take out all the weeks between work days... ha ha. I am incredibly hard on myself and my spouse and I had a lot of anxiety about getting this done, determined to finish the WHOLE THING in June! Completely unreasonable expectation for a family of 7 that homeschools heavily in summer and has many other projects and lessons going. Ridiculous, even.
Now on to the next post!